Guard & Reserve Members

Education Benefits:
Many changes to the GI Bill in 2011

Served 90 days or more on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 and received an honorable discharge, you may be eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits. Eligibility is determined by Dept. of Defense (DOD).

If you are attending a college you should contact the Veterans Certifying Official for assitance in applying for VA Education Benefits. You may also contact the VA Education Department at (888-442-4551) to speak to an Education Case Manager.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – Chapter 1607 a program which provides up to 36 months of education benefits to Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve and National Guard; who are called to serve on active duty. Eligibility is determined by DOD.

There are several different Education Assistance Programs available, eligibility is based on dates of active duty. For Veterans who qualify for more than one, should contact a Veterans Benefit Counselor at (888-442-4551) for all options to be reviewed to get the maximum benefit.

You can also contact the Iowa Department of Education for other programs at (515-725-2865).

VA Benefits:
Generally Reserve and National Guard members discharged or released under conditions that are not dishonorable are eligible for some VA benefits. The length of service, service commitment and/or duty status may determine the eligibility.

Health Care:
Current and former Reservists or National Guard who were called to active duty by a federal order and completed their full period for which they were called or ordered may be eligible. (Active duty for training purposes only doesn’t meet the basic eligibility requirement)

Disability Benefits:
VA pays compensation benefits for disabilities incurred or aggravated during active duty service or active duty service for training for disabilities resulted from an injury or disease.

Returning Service Members:
OEF/OIF/OND combat Veterans can receive health care for any conditions related to their service in Iraq/Afghanistan War for five years after their date of discharge. Vets need to enroll in the VA Health Care System and notify that they are a “Combat Veteran.”

To contact the OIF/OEF/OND Case Manager in Iowa City, IA call 319-338-0581 and ask for the OEF/OIF/OND Case Manager.

For more information on Reserve or National Guard benefits, contact our office.