Cold War Certificate

On April 5, 1999, qualifying former and current service members and DoD civilians can apply for a certificate honoring them for their parts in winning the Cold War. If you qualify, here is how you get your certificate.

*applicants should be aware they must use fax or mail to submit supporting documents

Eligibility Criteria: Persons are eligible for the recognition certificate if they have military or civilian service with the War, Navy, Defense departments between September 2, 1945 and December 26, 1991.

How to Prove Military Eligibility: Military personnel can use any of the following documents as proof of service: DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release/Discharge from Active Duty); WD AGO Form 53-55 (War Department Separation Document); Oath of Office (Military Personnel or Letter of Appointment) **Army officials caution applicants not to send original documents because they can not be returned.

How to Obtain Military Eligibility Certificates: Write to: National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records), 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

How to Prove Civilian Eligibility: Qualifying civilian service can be proved with: Standard Form 50 (Notification of Personnel Action); Standard Form 2809 (Health Benefit Registration Form); Award Certificate with employee’s name, name of service/agency, and dates; Retirement forms with employee’s name, service/agency, and dates.

How to Obtain Civilian Eligibility Certificates: Federal civilian personnel may obtain employment verification or a copy of their records by writing to: U.S. Office of Personnel Management Employee Service and Record Center, PO Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045.