WINNESHIEK COUNTY PLANNING & ZONING
The Planning and Zoning function of Winneshiek County is made up of three distinct entities, the Zoning Administrator, the Planning and Zoning Commission, and the Board of Adjustments. These are the responsibilities of each Zoning Administrator is the administrative official of the zoning ordinance.
The duties of this office include:
- Main contact point for all zoning related issues or questions.
- Enforce the provisions of the zoning ordinance by investigation, verification, and initiating legal proceedings.
- Issue Construction Compliance Certificates after verifying compliance with the zoning ordinance.
- Supervise the Land Division Application process.
- Collection and recording of all zoning fees, permits, transactions, and amendments.
- Help land owners with the process to apply for zoning changes, conditional use permits, variances, special exceptions, subdivision creation, and other appeals.
- Call and prepare all Planning & Zoning Commission meetings.
- Call and prepare all Board of Adjustment meetings.
The Planning and Zoning Commission is a nine member "legislative" branch of the County's Zoning function.
The duties of the Commission include:
- Recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on amendments to the zoning ordinance, either text amendments or changes to the zoning districts.
- Hear and make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on Conditional use permits.
- Review and make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on subdivision requests and plats.
The Board of Adjustments is a five member "Judicial" branch of the County's Zoning function.
The duties of the Board include:
- Hear and decide an appeal where it is alleged error has occurred in the enforcement of the zoning ordinance by an administrative official.
- Hear and decide special exceptions according to the terms of the ordinance.
- To authorize upon appeal in specific cases such variance from the terms of this ordinance as will not be contrary to the public interest where owing to the special conditions, a literal enforcement of the provisions of this ordinance would result in undue hardship.